Dear 100 Hour Board,
Besides Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged, what is the best anime show to watch? Is Death Note any good?
I haven't watched a whole lot of anime to be honest, but I really enjoyed Darker Than Black and Soul Eater. I've also heard a lot of positive reviews of Death Note from people far more well-versed in anime than myself so I'm inclined to trust them.
Hopefully this helps and other writers who know more anime than I do add to it.
Edit: Just want to add that in the intervening time from writing this answer and it posting, I have watched about half of Death Note and can give it my own seal of approval in addition to the good word of other people I know.
I just finished Naruto and Naruto: Shippuden. They were fantastic. Between the two shows, it's a super epic story told over hundreds of episodes. The characters are fantastic, the humor is great, and the action is fast-paced and natural. Not much out there can compete with it in terms of excellent storytelling. Be prepared to put in a large amount of time, but it's worth it. Find a filler list and skip the filler episodes, which are completely unimportant. Also, I'd highly recommend the subbed version. The Japanese voice actors are really good, and it's a pleasure to watch.
Sword Art Online is fantastic, especially the first 14 episodes. I'd also recommend Erased, a 12-episode anime that came out last year that is beautiful and really makes you think.
Here are my suggestions:
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
- Dragon Ball Z Kai (because it cuts some of the filler episodes of Dragon Ball Z)
- Steins;Gate (it's short but amazing)
- Sword Art Online (Kirito comes from that one)
- One Punch Man (it is hilarious and makes fun of other anime tropes)
- Naruto/Naruto:Shippuden (I haven't actually seen all of these because there's like 1000 episodes combined but it's about ninjas so it's worth it. And by the time you finish all the episodes will be dubbed in English as opposed to half of them right now)
- Avatar:The Last Airbender (not actually a Japanese anime, but it was made by American writers and drawn by Korean artists in Japanese anime style)
As far as Death Note goes, I haven't watched it but my friends have seen it and they think it is amazing. I assume you ask about it because Netflix is doing a live action movie based on the anime. Since I don't have much to say about it, I'll just post a few gifs and pictures for your entertainment.
Apparently that is one of the most intense moments in the series and taken out of context it's hilarious.